Flank steak can be a frustrating cut of meat if you don't know how to tenderize and cook it. This Teriyaki Marinated Flank Steak recipe is a delicious twist for a hard cut of meat. Ready your broiler, this recipe is coming at you fast!
What is flank steak
Flank steak is a small cut of beef that comes from the lower abdomen of the animal. It is known for its strong beefy flavor, but also for its tough fibrous consistency. Flank steak can't be cooked like other prime cuts of beef because it has less fat, and more connective tissue. You can either cook it hot and fast or low and slow. Flank steak is commonly used for fajitas and other hispanic dishes.
How to tenderize flank steak
Tenderizing steak does not mean pounding it with a meat tenderizer. Instead it means marinating the meat so that the acid from the marinade can begin to break down the meat which in turn makes it juicier, more flavorful and more tender. Most meats need to marinate at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours. This will allow the flavor to permeate the meat properly.
How to create a marinade
A successful marinade has a good balance between acid, oil and seasonings. You can easily find marinades at grocery stores or make your own. If you're making your own marinade, Jessica Gavin has a great Marinating How To Guide on her site that's worth looking at.
How to prepare flank steak in an oven
For this recipe, we are cooking the flank steak hot and fast. Once the steak is out of the marinade, pat dry and place on a lined baking sheet. Preheat the broiler on high. Place the meat in the oven and broil for 6-7 minutes per a side or until you reach desired doneness. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly and serving.
Like this recipe? Make sure to pin it and save it for later!
make it a meal
- Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots
- Balsamic Bacon Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Creamy Parmesan Polenta
- Roasted Broccoli and Garlic
- Other Side Options
other great beef dinners
Teriyaki Marinated Flank Steak
- 2 Pounds Flank Steak
- 1 Cup Soy Sauce
- ½ Cup Water
- ¾ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Season meat generously with salt and pepper.
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Place meat in a large ziploc bag and pour marinade in bag over meat. Seal bag and place in fridge to marinate for 2 hours to 24 hours.
- Remove from bag and pat dry.
- Preheat oven with broiler on high.
- Place flank steak on a lined baking sheet and broil for 6-7 minutes per side or unitel desired doneness. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve thinly sliced and enjoy!
Cuteness overload...When I was cleaning i looked over at my messy bed and saw this. Too cute!