Short Ribs have become one of my favorite proteins, albeit one that I only make on weekends where I can spare the hours to cook them. They are flavorful and fall off the bone delicious. Whenever I make a recipe with short ribs, it becomes a family favorite. This recipe for Short Rib Ragu and Pappardelle is the perfect sunday supper comfort food.
What kind of meat is is short ribs
Short Ribs are a cut of beef. They are taken from a different section of rib bone than the ribs you make for barbecues and require a different method to cook. Short ribs are cut in either flanken, across the bone, or english, parallel to bone, cuts. This recipe for Short Rib Ragu and Pappardelle uses english style as it maximizes the amount of meat in each cut. Flanken style short ribs are often seen in hawaiian bbq, korean bbq or jewish recipes.
How to cook short ribs
Short ribs are fatty and have a lot of connective tissue. This means that they take time to cook and need to be cooked low and slow for the best results. I used a dutch oven for this recipe and cooked them in the oven. However this is a recipe that would do well in a slow cooker. Because there is a lot of fat in short ribs, it's pretty darn impossible to overcook. So consider this a set it and forget it recipe!
What is a ragu
A ragu is an italian style sauce that is a meat and tomato base with a mirepoix. Ragus traditionally use a ground beef, but variations such as short rib are just as delicious. Ragu can be served with pasta or even with polenta. This recipe for Sausage Ragu and Polenta is another family favorite and just as delicious!
make it a meal
- Garlic Chive Mashed Potatoes
- Balsamic Glazed Carrots
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Homestyle Mashed Red Potatoes
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Homestyle Mashed Potatoes
- More Side Dishes
- More Beef Dinners
Short Rib Ragu and Pappardelle
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Pounds Short Ribs English Style
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Sprigs Rosemary
- 5 Sprigs Thyme
- 2 Sprigs Parsley
- 4 Carrots Diced
- 1 Onion Diced
- 2 Stalks Celery Diced
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Cups Red Wine Dry
- 4 Cloves Garlic Smashed
- 3 ½ Cups Beef Stock
- 1 Pound Pappardelle
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. season short ribs generously with salt and pepper. In batches, brown short ribs on all sides. Once browned, remove and set aside.
- Add carrots, celery and onion to the dutch oven and season with salt and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent and carrots have softened.
- Stor in the flour and tomato paste, cook for several minutes until tomato paste is a deep red.
- Add red wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half. Add garlic, beef broth and herbs in a bouquet garni.
- Return beef ribs to dutch oven. Place in the oven and cook at 350 degrees for 3 hours or until ribs are tender.
- Remove ribs from liquid. Remove bones and shred meat.
- Bring braising liquid in dutch oven to a simmer on the stovetop and reduce sauce to thicken. Degrease the sauce and discard the bouquet garni. Return shredded meat to sauce and simmer to reduce by half.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and add pasta to the sauce. Toss to coat. Serve with parmesan cheese on top and enjoy!
I have made this several times .and it always comes out great.My husband and family love it .