There are some comfort foods that are surprisingly simple to make and become easy favorites. This recipe for Sausage Ragu and Polenta is one of those meals that is a perfect quick dinner all while being a delicious comfort food. Make sure to try my other polenta recipes such as my Creamy Parmesan Polenta or my Roasted Mushrooms and Creamy Polenta.
What is a ragu
A Ragu is a sauce made up of ground meat, vegetables and tomato sauce. There are many interpretations of Ragu, once famous iteration is a bolognese sauce. Ragus are usually served over pasta traditionally however I found it to be delicious when served over polenta.
what is polenta
Polenta is cornmeal boiled in stock so that it gets a delicious, thick, creamy texture. You can use yellow or white cornmeal to make it (there’s no difference in taste) and it’s a great way to use up the cornmeal in your cupboard that you got that one time you made cornbread from scratch. I like to serve my polenta warm so that it has a porridge like consistency. But you can also let it cool and solidify into a loaf that can be baked, fried or grilled.
tips for cooking polenta
Polenta can be a bit tricky to make but here are the tips I found that worked the best through trial and error
- Cook with chicken or vegetable stock for the most flavor, don’t use plain old water
- Bring liquid to a boil before adding cornmeal. Once cornmeal is added bring down to a simmer
- Use a sifter to slowly stir in the cornmeal. It will clump if not added in slowly.
- Stir constantly while adding cornmeal
- Mise en place is key, grate cheese and garlic while water is boiling and premeasure the cornmeal
Like this recipe? Make sure to pin it and save it for later
make it a meal
- Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots
- Balsamic Bacon Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Roasted Broccoli and Garlic
- Other Side Options
other great beef dinners
Sausage Ragu and Polenta
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- ¼ Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Italian Pork Sausage Meat Not in casings
- 1 Onion Diced
- 2 Carrots Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic Smashed
- 15 Oz Tomato Sauce
- Parmesan Cheese for topping
- Bring stock to a boil in a saucepan. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer.
- Using a sifter slowly add in the cornmeal, stirring continuously. Once all of the cornmeal is added let simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan cheese, garlic, cream and butter. season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm for porridge consistency polenta or let cool to have a firm loaf like consistency.
- In a large pan, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add in sausage and cook until browned. While cooking break sausage apart into small crumbles. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion, carrot and garlic to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent and carrots has softened.
- Return sausage to pan. Stir in tomato sauce and mix to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve ragu over polenta and enjoy!
Kitten or squirrel? With a tail like that it's hard to tell!