Salisbury Steak is a classic comfort food, but one that is often overlooked. This updated recipe for Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy is a perfect dinner for the family. It's easy to make and filling. It's the best cold weather food.
what is salisbury steak
Think of salisbury steak as a fancy hamburger, or otherwise called a hamburger steak. Salisbury Steak is made from a combination of ground beef, seasonings and a binder such as egg or breadcrumbs. It is usually served with a gravy and toppings such as cooked onions, mushrooms or in this recipe, bacon. Salisbury steak is considered a classic american dish, but similar dishes exist worldwide and are all popular for the same reason, they’re delicious!
what is the difference between salisbury steak and meatloaf
There’s not too much that separates salisbury steak from meatloaf exempt from preparation and how it is served. Meatloaf is usually shaped as a loaf that can be sliced to serve, while salisbury steak is formed into hamburger patties. The meat mixture is similar, however meatloaf usually requires more of a binder so that it can hold its form. For serving, meatloaf usually has a sauce baked on top, but can have gravy poured on top as well. Salisbury steak has no sauce baked on as it is usually pan or griddle fried. Salisbury steak is always served with a gravy, sometimes with onion, mushrooms or bacon.
What makes a good gravy
A good gravy starts with a good pan sauce. Using the drippings imparts more flavor. The gravy should be silky smooth, but thick enough to coat a spoon and cling to it. If your gravy is too thick, thin it out with a bit of beef stock. If your gravy is too thin, either reduce it by cooking more or add in a bit of flour to thicken it up.
what to serve with salisbury steak
- Bacon Mashed Red Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Red Mashed Potatoes
- Bacon Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Chive Mashed Potatoes
- Homestyle Mashed Red Potatoes
- Homestyle Mashed Potatoes
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 2 Tsp Ground Mustard
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion Sliced
- ¾ Cup White Mushrooms Sliced
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Combine all ingredients for the salisbury steak together in a large mixing bowl until seasoning is evenly incorporated. Separate into quarters, the form beef patties by hand.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat. Cook each salisbury steak until browned on all sides and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, add onions and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until onion has softened and mushrooms are browned.
- Add beef broth, then flour, stirring to fully incorporate flour. Add ketchup and worcestershire sauce, season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until gravy has thickened. Serve salisbury steak with gravy poured over the steak. Enjoy!
When you can't find the cat, just look up
Leave a Reply