What if I told you that a family favorite could be re envisioned and made into meatballs? What if I told you that recipe already exists. Welcome to the Salisbury Steak Meatballs recipe. This recipe has the same amazing flavor as salisbury steak, just in a different, and let's face it more fun form.
what is salisbury steak
Think of salisbury steak as a fancy hamburger, or otherwise called a hamburger steak. Salisbury Steak is made from a combination of ground beef, seasonings and a binder such as egg or breadcrumbs. It is usually served with a gravy and toppings such as cooked onions, mushrooms or in this recipe, bacon. Salisbury steak is considered a classic american dish, but similar dishes exist worldwide and are all popular for the same reason, they’re delicious!
what is the difference between salisbury steak and meatloaf
There’s not too much that separates salisbury steak from meatloaf exempt from preparation and how it is served. Meatloaf is usually shaped as a loaf that can be sliced to serve, while salisbury steak is formed into hamburger patties. The meat mixture is similar, however meatloaf usually requires more of a binder so that it can hold its form. For serving, meatloaf usually has a sauce baked on top, but can have gravy poured on top as well. Salisbury steak has no sauce baked on as it is usually pan or griddle fried. Salisbury steak is always served with a gravy, sometimes with onion, mushrooms or bacon.
How to make meatballs
The switch from Salisbury Steak to meatballs is an easy one. Instead of creating a large loaf, take the meat mixture and form 1 inch balls. These can either be baked in the oven for 20 minutes or cooked in a cast iron pan with a bit of vegetable oil. Either method will give you delicious meatballs. I prefer the stove top method for maximum crispiness without drying out.
what to serve with salisbury steak
- Bacon Mashed Red Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Red Mashed Potatoes
- Bacon Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Chive Mashed Potatoes
- Homestyle Mashed Red Potatoes
- Homestyle Mashed Potatoes
Salisbury Steak Meatballs
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 2 Tsp Ground Mustard
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Combine all ingredients for the salisbury steak together in a large mixing bowl until seasoning is evenly incorporated. Form 1 inch round balls.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat. Cook meatballs until browned on all sides and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan drain off excess fat, leaving 2-3 Tbsp still in the pan. Add the flour and stir in to combine with the fat.
- Add beef broth, stirring to fully incorporate flour. Add ketchup and worcestershire sauce, season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until gravy has thickened. Serve meatballs with gravy poured over them. Enjoy!
Here's hoping for sunny days and kitty cuddles
Linda Bullington L says
I've made the Salisbury steak meatballs several times and they're so very good. I've served them over mashed potatoes or I've used rice. Very delicious and I'll make them often.