One of my favorite meals is salisbury steak, it's a classic comfort food perfect for cold weather. Another favorite of mine is bacon, so it only seems natural to combine the two to create something amazing right? This recipe for Salisbury Steak and Bacon Gravy is my go to stick to your ribs, easy meal to make after work. It's always a crowd pleaser, for obvious reasons.
What is salisbury steak
Think of salisbury steak as a fancy hamburger, or otherwise called a hamburger steak. Salisbury Steak is made from a combination of ground beef, seasonings and a binder such as egg or breadcrumbs. It is usually served with a gravy and toppings such as cooked onions, mushrooms or in this recipe, bacon. Salisbury steak is considered a classic american dish, but similar dishes exist worldwide and are all popular for the same reason, they're delicious!
What is the difference between salisbury steak and meatloaf
There's not too much that separates salisbury steak from meatloaf exempt from preparation and how it is served. Meatloaf is usually shaped as a loaf that can be sliced to serve, while salisbury steak is formed into hamburger patties. The meat mixture is similar, however meatloaf usually requires more of a binder so that it can hold its form. For serving, meatloaf usually has a sauce baked on top, but can have gravy poured on top as well. Salisbury steak has no sauce baked on as it is usually pan or griddle fried. Salisbury steak is always served with a gravy, sometimes with onion, mushrooms or bacon.
how to cook mess free bacon
I learned a bacon cooking hack a while ago and will never look back. There is no mess, no cleanup and it does not take a long time to cook! I make my bacon now in the oven and cook in in a foil lined pan with a metal cooling rack on top. This allows the fat to drip down from the bacon and the bacon to become crispy. The grease burns off in the oven and once the pan is cool, I fold up the aluminum foil and toss it into the trash!
What to serve with Salisbury Steak
- Bacon Mashed Red Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Red Mashed Potatoes
- Bacon Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Chive Mashed Potatoes
- Homestyle Mashed Red Potatoes
- Homestyle Mashed Potatoes
Salisbury Steak and Bacon Gravy
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 2 Tsp Ground Mustard
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ Pound Bacon Sliced into ½ inch chunks
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Combine all ingredients for the salisbury steak together in a large mixing bowl until seasoning is evenly incorporated. Separate into quarters, the form beef patties by hand.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat. Cook each salisbury steak until browned on all sides and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, add bacon and cook for 5-7 minutes or until bacon is crisp and fate has rendered out. Drain off excess fat, leaving 2-3 Tbsp still in the pan with the bacon. Add the flour and stir tin combine with the fat.
- Add beef broth, stirring to fully incorporate flour. Add ketchup and worcestershire sauce, season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until gravy has thickened. Serve salisbury steak with gravy poured over the steak. Enjoy!
This recipe was very easy to make. My family tormented me the whole time I made it that we were back in the 50's TV dinner time and turned on 50's music. Sat down to supper and first bite they couldn't get enough of it and want it on the menu in the future. I added twice as much bacon to the gravy. Thanks for the wonderful easy and tasty recipe.
Michelle Boulé says
Glad you enjoyed it!