There are not many fresh vegetables available in winter but root vegetables are in abundance. This recipe for Roasted Root Vegetables with Brown Butter Sauce combines several different root vegetable varieties to make the most delicious side dish.
What are root vegetables
Root vegetables are any vegetable grown underground as a, well you guessed it, root! Root vegetables are some of the healthiest and nutrient dense food. Root vegetables include:
- Celery Root
How to roast root vegetables
Root vegetables usually contain a good amount of starch and sugar, so roasting vegetables brings out the best taste and makes them sweeter due to caramelization. In order to roast these evenly, you must cut them so that they are approximately the same size. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
How to make brown butter
Brown butter is easy to make and has a large variety of uses from being use as a pasta sauce, used in baking or as a sauce for roasted veggies. To make begin by melting butter in a light colored frying pan on medium heat. Continue cooking butter without stirring. It will begin to look frothy as the water evaporates and you’ll notice the milk solids begin to collect at the bottom of the pan. Once you see those milk solid starts to turn brown, remove from heat, scrape them off of the bottom of the pan and pour the brown butter into glass measuring cup or other heat proof vessel. Brown butter will go from perfect to burnt in a matter of seconds, so don’t walk away while making it.
Like this recipe, make sure to pin it and save it for later
make it a meal
- NY Strip Steak with Red Wine Sauce
- Hamburger Steak with Onion Gravy
- Braai Rubbed T-Bone Steak
- Oven Baked Beef Brisket
- Dutch Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Oven Baked Garlic Rosemary London Broil
- Chicken Fried Steak
- More Dinner Recipes
Roasted Root Vegetables with Brown Butter Sauce
- 2 Cups Celery Root Cubed
- 2 Cups Potato Cubed
- 2 Cups Parsnip Chopped
- 2 Cups Butternut Squash Cubed
- Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Chives Sliced
- 6 Tbsp Butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel and cut all vegetables, making sure they are similar in size.
- Place vegetables on a lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through, until cooked through and lightly browned.
- In a large skillet melt butter on medium heat. Let butter froth up and simmer. Cook until lightly browned, then scrape browned bits from pan and put butter mixture into a heat proof cup.
- Serve roasted root vegetables with brown butter drizzled on top, and with chive. Enjoy!
My, what big eyes you have!