If you had told me when I was a child that I would grow to like brussel sprouts, I would have said you were crazy. They had never been allowed in my house as my dad had hated eating them when growing up. My grandmother was fond of boiling the brussel sprouts into oblivion, something I'm sure comes from her polish heritage. With a change of method I've become a fan of brussel sprouts, especially this recipe for Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon.
Roasting is by far my favorite method of cooking brussel sprouts. They become crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. For this recipe I drizzled maple syrup on top, which the brussel sprouts soaked up like a sponge so it was a delectable mix of sweet, soft and salty crunchy. Brussel sprouts can also be seasoned in many different ways, either savory or sweet seasonings work!
How to cook brussel sprouts with bacon
This one is easy. I set my oven at a high temp, usually between 400-425 degrees. While the oven is warming up, I'll trim and halve the brussel sprouts, toss with a bit of vegetable oil and season generously with salt and pepper. I'll then spread them onto a nonstick pan, roast in the oven for about 20 minutes and the top with any additional seasoning, like bacon and maple syrup in this recipe. Done fast and easily!
The fall is typically the harvest season for brussel sprouts, although they can be found readily throughout the year. Some grocery stores will even sell them on the stalk in fall, which then lets you harvest your own. I have still yet to find a good recipe using frozen brussel sprouts, so when I can find them fresh, I usually end up buying a few pounds. If the kid version of myself was able to read that last sentence, she wouldn't think it was true! Oh how far I've come!
Make it a Meal
- NY Strip Steak with Red Wine Sauce
- Hamburger Steak with Onion Gravy
- Braai Rubbed T-Bone Steak
- Oven Baked Beef Brisket
- Dutch Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Oven Baked Garlic Rosemary London Broil
- Chicken Fried Steak
- More Dinner Recipes
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with bacon
- 1 ½ Pounds Brussel Sprouts
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Pound Bacon
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Trim outer leaves and halve brussel sprouts. Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread onto a nonstick baking sheet.
- Roast brussel sprouts for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- While brussel sprouts are roasting, cook bacon and chop into ½ inches pieces.
- Combine bacon and brussel sprouts, toss in maple syrup and serve. Enjoy!
Sometimes you just have to stop and sniff the flowers 🙂