When you need a quick and delicious appetizer, a crostini recipe should always be in your back pocket. These bite sized appetizers impress a crowd and although seem fancy, are very easy to make. This recipe for Pear and Camembert Crostini is one of my favorite combinations and hopefully soon to be yours too.
What is a Crostini
Crostini means little toasts in Italian, which is exactly what they are. Crostini are thin slices of toasted bread, usually a small white bread or baguette. Crostini are common for appetizers, charcuterie plates, or as sandwiches. One of the most popular crostini dishes is bruschetta (though some may argue bruschetta is a different dish if the bread is grilled rather than toasted).
How to make Crostini
Crostini are simple to make, taking only about 15 minutes to cut and toast. To begin, slice a baguette thinly. Brush each side of the bread with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees or until edges are golden and toasted, about 5-7 minutes. Flip crostini then bake for an additional 2 minutes. Add your favorite toppings and serve!
Common crostini pairings
- Diced Tomato, Olive Oil and Basil
- Olive Tapenade
- Fig, Honey and Neufchatel Cheese
- Labneh, Hazelnuts and Honey
- Prosciutto and Cheese
- Lox and Cucumber
- Crab Salad
- Peach, Prosciutto and Ricotta
What is Camembert
Camembert is a variety of french soft cheese. Camembert has a soft white rind and creamy, earthy tasting center. Camembert is similar to brie (you can substitute for brie in this recipe) but it has a runnier texture and stronger flavor. You can find camembert at most chain grocery stores in the cheese section.
Make sure to check out these recipes too!
- Stovetop Little Smokies
- French Onion Dip
- Pimento Cheese Dip
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Garlic Knots
Pear and Camembert Crostini
- 1 Baguette Thinly Sliced
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Wheel Camembert
- 1 Pear Firm, sliced thinly
- ¼ Cup Honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush each slice of baguette on both sides with olive oil then place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until toasted brown. Flip and bake for an additional 2 minutes.
- Cut camembert into thin slices, then spread onto the crostini. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes or until slightly melted.
- Remove crostini from over. Top with pear and drizzle with honey. Serve warm and enjoy!