I was never a fan of mushrooms growing up. Now that I look back at it, I think it was a texture thing. The mushrooms on pizza were always rubbery and I never likes them just cooked in butter. But since I've learned how to cook mushrooms on my own, I've grown to really enjoy them. This recipe for Mushroom Hazelnut Pappardelle is one of my favorites.
A medley of mushrooms are sautéed in a pan with butter, tossed with pappardelle pasta and topped with toasted hazelnuts and parmesan cheese.
What type of mushrooms to use
This recipe for Mushroom Hazelnut Pappardelle calls for a medley of mushrooms. By using a medley of mushrooms, you'll create a more robust umami flavor. I tend to use a wild mushroom mix as they tend to be more flavorful than common varieties like button mushrooms. Options like chanterelle, oyster, shiitakes, etc can be found at stores such as Whole Foods.
What is Pappardelle Pasta
Pappardelle pasta is a type of Italian pasta that is known for it's wide, ribbon like shape. This form of pasta is also easy to make at home. After the pasta is rolled out, flour and fold. Then slice the pasta to form long ribbons. Either fresh or dried pasta can be used in this recipe.
How to clean mushrooms
Cleaning mushrooms must be done before cooking to remove any dirt and debris. Because mushrooms grow close to the ground, they can pick up a lot of dirt. The tick is that you do not want to add water to the mushrooms as they are porous and will absorb a lot of water. Instead use a damp paper towel and gently clean the tops and stems of the mushrooms to remove any dirt. Let dry before cooking the mushrooms.
How to cook mushrooms
Mushroom Hazelnut Pappardelle calls for the mushrooms to be sautéed in a mix of butter and olive oil. In a large pan add oil and butter on a medium heat. Add mushrooms to the pan once butter is melted. Give the mushrooms enough space so that they don't sweat. Let cook for 2-3 minutes before stirring. Then cook for an additional 2-3 minutes and they will be done.
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan
- Bruschetta Baked Chicken
- Baked Stuffed Tomatoes
- Saucy Bacon Tomato Rigatoni
- BBQ Beer Meatballs
Mushroom Hazelnut Pappardelle
- 9 Oz Pappardelle Pasta
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- ¼ Cup Hazelnuts Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic Sliced
- 12 Oz Wild Mushroom Mix
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Sage Chopped
- ½ Cup Parmesan Grated
- 2 Tbsp Chives Sliced
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and reserve ¾ Cup of cooking liquid.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add hazelnuts and cook for 2-3 minutes or until nuts are fragrant. Remove nuts and set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add olive oil, garlic and mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring halfway, or until mushrooms have softened.
- Stir in sage and add pasta. Add the reserved cooking liquid and toss to combine. Top pasta with parmesan and chives. Enjoy!