You can't talk about comfort food without mentioning Macaroni Salad. It's the perfect side dish for any summer gathering and is a classic for a reason. You'll want to grab a bowl or two for this recipe!
What goes into Macaroni Salad
The best kept secret of macaroni salad? The add ins are what make it from a good side to the star of the meal. In this recipe I add red onion, celery, red pepper and diced sweet gherkin pickles. Adding these raw ingredients helps give a bit of crunch and texture to the dish. On top of the add ins is a mayonnaise based sauce. Another tip: Make the macaroni salad a day before your party so that the noodle can absorb the flavor of the sauce and ingredients.
Do you rinse macaroni when making macaroni sald
For any cold pasta salad, rinsing the pasta after boiling is essential. This brings the temperature of the pasta down so that it does not continue to cook. The pasta will absorb some of the liquid from the mayo once it's mixed together, so stopping the cooking process at the right time is necessary so that the pasta isn't overcooked.
Why your macaroni salad is dry
Your macaroni salad may be dry for several reasons. If you undercook the pasta, it will absorb too much liquid and leave your salad a bit dry. Cook your pasta to a perfect al dente for the best results. On the opposite side, if you overcook your pasta the dish will turn into mush.
How to store macaroni salad
You can make this dish a day in advance and store in the refrigerator in a covered container. This salad will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. If you take the container out to serve and it comes to room temperature, discard the leftovers. Because this is mayonnaise based, it can't sit in heat, direct sunlight or at room temperature for long as it won't be safe to eat.
- ½ Pound Macaroni Noodles Dry
- ½ Cup Sweet Gherkin Pickles Diced
- ½ Cup Celery Chopped
- ½ Cup Red Bell Pepper Diced
- ½ Cup Red Onion Diced
- ¾ Cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tsp Mustard
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook per package instructions to al dente. Drain and run macaroni under cold water until cool to touch
- Add macaroni to a large bowl and add vegetables. Toss to combine.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Stir to combine; add salt and pepper to taste
- Combine sauce and macaroni mix in the large bowl and toss to combine. Serve chilled. Recipe can be made one day in advance. Enjoy!