When you want a steak dinner consider making a London Broil. It's a cheaper cut of beef but still as delicious as the expensive ones. Marinate your London Broil in the fridge then broil in the oven, it's a quick and easy dinner. This recipe for Lemon Pepper London Broil will be a favorite or yours for sure!
What is London Broil
London broil is a cut of steak that is usually a top round cut or a flank steak. The name London Broil can apply to either cut. London Broil is marinated for several hours then either broiled or grilled at a high temperature. It is then served sliced thinly across the grain. London Broil is an american dish and is not british at all.
How to marinade London Broil
London Broil should be marinated between 2-24 hours so that the meat tenderizes and the flavors seep into the meat. It's a tougher cut of meat, so marinating is a must! This Lemon Pepper London Broil recipe marinates easily with a bit of oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and lemon zest. I usually marinate my meat the morning before cooking it so that it can marinate in the fridge while I'm at work.
How to cook London Broil in the oven
Cooking London Broil is quite easy and quick. Once the meat is removed from the marinade, pat with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Moisture will make it steamy in the oven and prevent the meat from getting a good crust. Place on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and broil on high for 6-7 minutes a side or until desired doneness. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice thinly across the grain and serve.
Why do you need to let meat rest
Letting meat rest allows for the juices to redistribute and settle. If you cut a steak as soon as it is removed from heat, the juices will run out and you'll lose a lot of moisture, which can lead to dry meat. Often I let my meat rest for 5-10 minutes while I finish cooking up my sides.
Like this recipe? Make sure to pin and save it for later! Have a question? Let me know, I read every comment on the blog!
make it a meal
- Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots
- Balsamic Bacon Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Creamy Parmesan Polenta
- Roasted Broccoli and Garlic
- Other Side Options
other great beef dinners
Lemon Pepper London Broil
- 2 Pounds London Broil
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 3 Tbsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- Season meat generously with salt. Place in a resealable ziploc bag. Add all other ingredients, zip closed and shake to mix. Marinate in fridge for 2-24 hours
- Preheat oven and put on the high broil setting.
- Pat meat dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Broil on top rack for 5-7 minutes per side or until you reach desired level of doneness. Let meat rest several minutes before slicing thinly against the grain and serving. Enjoy!
New game, it's called find the cat. Needless to say we have since switched to curtains haha