Sometimes a side dish steals the limelight of the main dish. With this recipe for Honey Roasted Squash with Goat Cheese, that is certainly the case. I love how the sweet squash pairs so well with the salty crumbled goat cheese, it's one of my favorite combos. Make this recipe all winter long, you won't be disappointed!
what is considered a winter squash
Not all squash is created equal, you certainly can’t use yellow summer squash or zucchini in the same way as butternut or acorn squash. Here are some of my favorite varieties of winter squash:
- Butternut Squash
- Acorn Squash
- Delicata Squash (my favorite!)
- Spaghetti Squash
- Hubbard Squash/Blue Hubbard Squash
- Sweet Dumpling Squash
- Kabocha Squash
how to roast squash
For whatever winter squash variety you choose, first begin by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Next using a chef’s knife, halve the squash. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and discard. Drizzle the cut side of the squash with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place the squash halves cut side down on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and roast for about 45 minutes or until fork tender and browned along the edges of the cut side. Let cool slightly so that they can be handled easily, then either scoop out for mashed squash or eat within the shell.
What is the difference between goat cheese and feta cheese
The difference between these two cheese is where the milk comes from. Feta cheese is made primarily from sheep's milk and originates from the mediterranean. Feta is usually very tangy and crumbly while goat cheese is more like a chunky cream cheese with a salty flavor.
make it a meal
- NY Strip Steak with Red Wine Sauce
- Hamburger Steak with Onion Gravy
- Braai Rubbed T-Bone Steak
- Oven Baked Beef Brisket
- Dutch Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Oven Baked Garlic Rosemary London Broil
- Chicken Fried Steak
- More Dinner Recipes
Honey Roasted Squash with Goat Cheese
- 2 Acorn Squash
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp Goat Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 4 Sprigs Thyme
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Halve squash with a large chef's knife. Scoop out all seeds and discard. Drizzle cut side of squash with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place squash cut side down on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
- Roast squash for 45 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from oven.
- Carefully place roasted squash onto a plate or bowl, cut side up. Place 1 Tbsp of goat cheese in each well of the squash, followed by a drizzle of honey (though if you go over 1 Tbsp, your secret is safe with me!). Sprinkle with fresh thyme, serve and enjoy!
My cat ladies and gentlemen...