Whether Thanksgiving, Christmas or just dinner, the perfect side for any comfort food is Homestyle Mashed Red Potatoes. This is an easy side but cooking it correctly will make it perfection! This recipe must be tried for any holiday meal.
Tips and Tricks for perfect mashed potatoes
- Peel potatoes before cooking them
- Cut potatoes into equal sized chunks to cook fasted and evenly
- Remove any eyes or rot before cooking
- Salt the water
- Don't overcook, potatoes should be fork tender but not mush
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper when mashing
What potato should you use for Homestyle Mashed Red Potatoes
There are many different types of potatoes, but not all potatoes are created equal! For the perfect mashed potato dish, use a potato with a higher starch content such as Russets or Yukon Golds. Waxy potato varieties like red potatoes require more mashing to make them creamy, however the extra mashing can lead to a change in texture. When potatoes are overworked they become tough and have a paste like consistency.
How to make mashed potatoes creamy
To make the creamiest mashed potatoes you want to add both butter and milk to them while mashing. I add in softened butter and warmed milk so that it does not cool down the potatoes too much. You can also add cream to the mixture is desired, but be aware that cream has more fat and can change the taste and texture more than milk.
Dishes to serve with Homestyle Mashed Potatoes
- Lemon Pepper London Broil
- Braised Beef Brisket
- Oven Baked BBQ Beef Brisket
- Swedish Meatballs
- NY Strip Steak with Red Wine Sauce
- Hamburger Steak with Onion Gravy
- Oven Baked Beef Brisket
- Chicken Fried Steak
- Dutch Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Other Dinner Options
Homestyle Mashed Red Potatoes
- 2 Pounds Red Potatoes
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- ¾ Cup Milk
- Slice potatoes, removing any brown spots while doing so.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and fill up with enough water to just cover the potatoes. Season water with salt. Bring water to a boil. Once water is boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and return them to empty pot. Add butter, milk, salt and pepper then begin to mash. Serve warm and enjoy!
Play mode, activate! Baby Arya played nonstop, she was a very hyper kitten!