I've been stuck inside for the last several days due to the amount of smoke in the air from a wildfire a few hours north of San Francisco. Needless to say, I've been stir crazy and my venture into the outside world consisted of going to the grocery store. After a few days of being indoors, going to the grocery store felt like coming back to civilization. The prospect of getting a starbucks drink, picking up a magazine and trying free samples seemed like a luxury. I may have even gone a bit overboard and gotten a bit too much, but hey, that's what freezers are for! Since I was craving comfort food, I made a Hamburger Steak with Onion Gravy first.
What is Hamburger Steak?
Hamburger steak is like a cross between meatloaf, salisbury steak and a hamburger. It's made from ground beef mixed with bread crumbs, worcestershire, and seasonings. The onion gravy really makes the dish too! If you don't like onions, a regular gravy will also suffice. I served mine with mashed potatoes, but roasted potatoes or baked would work well. For other sides, i'd recommend broccoli, sauteed spinach, roasted brussel sprouts or corn. No matter what, it will all taste delicious.
How to make a bomb gravy
Gravy is an easy yet daunting side. I can't tell you how many times I used to mess up my gravies. Some would have the consistency of paste while others would be soup. My advice is to add flour slowly when making a pan gravy. Since the amount of rendered fate will vary dish to dish, starting slow will make sure you don't go too far past and end up with paste.
Then make sure the flour cooks and thickens before adding any additional flour. You can thin a gravy a bit with some stock or broth if it gets a bit on the heavy side. The most amazing gravies will also have a good amount of seasoning to them, so don't be afraid to add salt and pepper as long as you taste test along the way.
This is definitely a retro recipe, but one that is so good I'll keep making it time and time again. Not every retro recipe is a good one (looking at you liver and onions) but the ones that are good are starting to have a renaissance. I really enjoy making Hamburger steaks because it's not only a cheap meal, but a quick one at that. You could also substitute the ground beef for turkey for a healthier option as well.
Make it a Meal
- Brown Butter Roasted Radishes
- Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Broccoli and Garlic
- Balsamic Bacon Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- More Delicious Sides
Hamburger Steak with Onion Gravy
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- ¼ Cup Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion Sliced
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, bread crumbs, worcestershire sauce, egg and garlic powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide meat mixture into 4 and shape into hamburger patties.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high. Add olive oil, then patties. Cook for several minutes per side, until cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions into the pan and cook until translucent.
- Stir in flour until it is fully incorporated. Add beef broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened sauce can coat the back of a spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve patties topped with onion gravy with the side of your choice. Enjoy!
Can you say diva? My bed has now been claimed and it's no longer mine but hers. Does anyone else have a pet like this?