When I want a delicious dinner that is hands off and feeds a crowd, I go for a whole roasted chicken. With minimal prep, this is a delicious and hearty dinner that is also budget friendly. Chicken can be prepared in so many different ways, but my favorite preparation recently has been Garlic Rosemary Roasted Chicken.
How to roast a whole chicken
When roasting a whole chicken, you want to begin by checking the body cavity for a bag containing gizzards and removing it from the bird. These pieces can be used for gravy or can be discarded. Next you'll want to pat dry the skin of a chicken. Dry chicken skin will yield a crispy baked skin. Next place garlic and rosemary in the cavity of the chicken. Season the outer skin of the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Drizzle chicken with melted butter. Roast chicken for 45 minutes at 425 degrees or until browned and juices are running clear. The temperature of the chicken should read 160 degrees at the thickest part of the thigh before removing from the oven. Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes for the juices to redistribute, before cutting and serving.
What should the temperature be for Garlic Rosemary Roasted Chicken
The chicken should be cooked to 160 degrees at the thickest part of the thigh before being removed from the oven. When resting, the internal temp should rise up a bit to 165, which is the ideal temp for a roasted chicken. If chicken is undercooked and pink inside, you run the risk of ingesting harmful bacteria such as salmonella which can cause food poisoning. Chicken, either cooked or raw, should not be left out at room temperature for long.
should you cover roast chicken in foil
I usually don't cover my chicken in foil when roasting, however you should cover it if it begins to become too dark. When roasting chicken, you want to put it in the center of the oven. If it is too close to the heating element in the oven, it will brown unevenly.
make it a meal
- Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots
- Balsamic Bacon Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Creamy Parmesan Polenta
- Roasted Broccoli and Garlic
- Other Side Options
other great dinners
Garlic Rosemary Roasted Chicken
- 4 Pound Whole Chicken
- 1 head Garlic sliced in half
- 6 Sprigs Rosemary Chopped
- ¼ Cup Butter Melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pat dry chicken skin. Place rosemary and garlic in the cavity of the chicken. Season skin of chicken generously with salt and pepper, and rosemary. Place chicken in a roasting pan, then drizzle with melted butter.
- Place chicken on the center rack in the oven and roast for 45 minutes. Take the temperature at the thickest part of the thigh and remove from the oven when it reaches 160 degrees and the juices run clear.
- Let chicken rest for 15 minutes before slicing and serving, then enjoy!
Let me tell you about my best friend!! She's the cutest and best, I couldn't ask for anyone better.
Leave a Reply