Brussel sprouts are one of the best vegetables to eat in cold weather. They come in season late fall and are the perfect healthy side dish. This recipe for Garlic Parmesan Brussel Sprouts is as easy to make as it is delicious. Move over picky eaters, brussel sprouts are coming for you!
How to clean and prep brussel sprouts
Brussel sprouts are easy to clean and prep, so don't be worried by yellow leaves or signs of insects. To begin, slice off the stalk end of the brussel sprout. This is often hard and dry from grocery store storage. Peel off any yellowing outer leaves. If there are any signs of insects, continue peeling leaves until they are clean. Because the leaves grow so compacted, insects can't get to the interior easily.
Next slice the brussel sprouts in half to ensure an even roast time. I even like to pull off some of the loose leaves and roast those as well for extra crispy bits.
How to roast brussel sprouts
Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Put prepped brussel sprouts ina large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Toss brussel sprouts to coat evenly. Spread brussel sprouts on a baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through. The brussel sprouts will be crispy on the exterior and soft on the interior.
How to remove bitter taste from brussel sprouts
When eaten raw, brussel sprouts can have a mild bitter taste similar to other raw vegetables like endive, broccoli and kale. The bitter taste is easily removed through roasting or cooking the brussel sprouts. In this recipe for Garlic Parmesan Brussel Sprouts, the roasting will caramelize any sugars in the outer layers of the brussel sprouts, which will make them taste delicious.
What to serve with Brussel Sprouts
Brussel sprouts go well with most proteins. Chicken, pork, beef, and fish can all be paired easily with brussel sprouts. Below are a few of my favorite options to make Garlic Parmesan Brussel Sprouts part of a well balanced meal.
- Oven Baked Garlic Rosemary London Broil
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- Classic Steak Diane
- Lemon Pepper London Broil
- Braised Beef Brisket
- Lemon Chicken with rice and asparagus
- NY Strip Steak with Red Wine Sauce
Garlic Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
- 1 Pound Brussel Sprouts
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 10 Garlic Cloves Smashed
- ½ Cup Parmesan Shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prep brussel sprouts by trimming the ends, removing outer leaves and slicing in half. Put prepped brussel sprouts in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Stir in smashed garlic.
- Spread brussel sprout mixture evenly on a large baking sheet. Roast in oven for 10 minutes. Top with parmesan cheese and roast for another 10 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
Baby Arya was always so long and lanky, now she's all fluff!
Leave a Reply