Whether a side dish at a holiday meal or on a Sunday night, mashed potatoes are a staple cold weather comfort food. This side dish can be made in so many delicious variations but one of my favorites is this recipe for Garlic Chive Mashed Potatoes. This is an elevated take on a comfort food classic that you're sure to love!
what potato should you use for Garlic Chive Mashed Potatoes
There are many different types of potatoes, but not all potatoes are created equal! For the perfect mashed potato dish, use a potato with a higher starch content such as Russets or Yukon Golds. Waxy potato varieties like red potatoes require more mashing to make them creamy, however the extra mashing can lead to a change in texture. When potatoes are overworked they become tough and have a paste like consistency.
tips and tricks for perfect mashed potatoes
- Peel potatoes before cooking them
- Cut potatoes into equal sized chunks to cook fasted and evenly
- Remove any eyes or rot before cooking
- Salt the water
- Don’t overcook, potatoes should be fork tender but not mush
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper when mashing
dishes to serve with Garlic Chive Mashed Potatoes
- Lemon Pepper London Broil
- Braised Beef Brisket
- Oven Baked BBQ Beef Brisket
- Swedish Meatballs
- NY Strip Steak with Red Wine Sauce
- Hamburger Steak with Onion Gravy
- Oven Baked Beef Brisket
- Chicken Fried Steak
- Dutch Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Other Dinner Options
Garlic Chive Mashed Potatoes
- 2 Pounds Potatoes Yukon Gold or Russet
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- ¾ Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Chive Sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- Peel and slice potatoes, removing any brown spots while doing so.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and fill up with enough water to just cover the potatoes. Season water with salt. Bring water to a boil. Once water is boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and return them to empty pot. Add butter, milk, salt and pepper then begin to mash until smooth. Fold in Chive and garlic while potatoes are still warm. Serve warm and enjoy!
Little baby Arya, she was the absolute cutest!