When you are looking for a cheap and delicious side, try Fried Cabbage and Bacon. This southern side dish is the best way to make a boring vegetable truly shine. Cabbage can be used in more than just St Patrick's day recipes and this is the perfect dish to prove just that. Serve with a variety of proteins including chicken, pork and beef to make this a complete meal.
What is fried cabbage?
Fried cabbage is an Irish side dish made with cabbage, onions and seasonings often made with corned beef. It is also a common southern side dish often made with bacon. It goes perfect with beef, chicken or pork as a tasty side.
How to Fry cabbage
Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Cook cabbage until softened, then add in bacon. Toss to combine, then serve and enjoy!
how to cook mess free bacon
I learned a bacon cooking hack a while ago and will never look back. There is no mess, no cleanup and it does not take a long time to cook! I make my bacon now in the oven and cook in in a foil lined pan with a metal cooling rack on top. This allows the fat to drip down from the bacon and the bacon to become crispy. The grease burns off in the oven and once the pan is cool, I fold up the aluminum foil and toss it into the trash! This is the perfect hack for this Bacon Mashed Red Potatoes recipe!
make it a meal
- NY Strip Steak with Red Wine Sauce
- Hamburger Steak with Onion Gravy
- Braai Rubbed T-Bone Steak
- Oven Baked Beef Brisket
- Dutch Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Oven Baked Garlic Rosemary London Broil
- Chicken Fried Steak
- More Dinner Recipes
Fried Cabbage and Bacon
- 6 Strips Bacon
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Cabbage Roughly Chopped
- ⅓ Cup Onion Chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a non-stick pan over medium heat until crisp. Use a slotted spatula to remove the bacon and place it on plate. Leave grease in pan. (As an alternative to cook mess free bacon you can use the oven method described above)
- Add in cabbage, onion and butter to the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent and cabbage has softened.
- Crumble bacon and add to the cabbage. Toss to combine, then serve and enjoy!
Back when Arya was a little floof and kept us up all night. I miss these kitten days, but not that kitten energy!