Up your biscuit game and make a new version of biscuits that's not only fun but delicious too! This recipe for Everything Bagel Biscuits is the perfect contender for your next recipe to make!
What is Buttermilk
Buttermilk is a fermented milk drink. Traditionally it was made from the liquid left behind while making butter from cultured cream and it is common in areas of the world where milk spoils easily due to warm weather. These days most buttermilk is cultured. Used often in cooking, buttermilk acts as an acid and when added to baked goods, gives them their soft and fluffy texture.
How to create a buttermilk substitute
If you can't find buttermilk at the grocery store or if you want to save a few dollars, making a buttermilk substitute is fairly easy. To make a buttermilk substitute, you'll want to add 1 Tbsp of acid to every cup of milk and letting it site for 10 minutes until it has curdled. Common acids to use are white vinegar or lemon juice.
How to store biscuits
While biscuits are best eaten right away, you can store them for a bit. For storing at room temperature, place in an airtight container and store at room temp for 1-2 days. If storing in a fridge, biscuits can last up to one week. If you want to make biscuits in advance for a holiday or large meal, place fully baked biscuits in an airtight container and store in the freezer. Everything Bagel Biscuits will last 2-3 months in the freezer.
Tips for the best biscuits
- Use cold butter
- Sub tip! Freeze your butter before baking and use a cheese grater to slice
- Don't overmix the dough - it should be shaggy
- Use a glass cup if you don't have a biscuit cutter
- Brush with milk or honey to get the perfect golden crust
- Bake in a cast iron skillet for the perfect crisp
Make it a meal
- Lemon Pepper London Broil
- Braised Beef Brisket
- Oven Baked BBQ Beef Brisket
- Swedish Meatballs
- NY Strip Steak with Red Wine Sauce
- Hamburger Steak with Onion Gravy
- Oven Baked Beef Brisket
- Chicken Fried Steak
- Dutch Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Other Dinner Options
Everything Bagel Biscuits
- 2 ½ Cups AP Flour
- 2 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter Cubed
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp Buttermilk For brushing tops
- ¼ Cup Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add butter and cut into flour until combined and coarse crumbs form.
- Stir in buttermilk, stirring until just combined. The dough will look shaggy.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Fold dough in half onto itself 3 times, forming a large rectangle ½ inch thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut biscuits from dough. Combine scraps and cut more biscuits until scraps are used up.
- Arrange biscuits on a parchment lined baking sheet so that they are centered and touching.
- Brush tops with buttermilk and sprinkle on seasoning. Bake for 15 minutes. Bake until golden brown on the top. Serve warm with gravy, jelly or honey and enjoy!
Leave a Reply