There are some recipes I go to when in a pinch, when I need something quick but don't want to get takeout or a frozen meal. One of my go-tos is Cube Steak with Pan Gravy. This recipe is done in about 20 minutes and has the flavors of a home cooked meal from grandma. Well grandma was probably on to something because this is also a budget friendly recipe which is always good to have in your back pocket.
What is cube steak?
Cube steak is a cut of beef, usually top sirloin or top round, that has been sliced thinly and tenderized. Cube steak gets its name from the cubed texture on the meat after the tenderizing process. Top sirloin and top round are tougher cuts of meat, so by making cube steak you get a much more tender cut of meat. Because this is not a prime cut, cube steak is usually very affordable and it still has a great beefy taste.
How to find cube steak
Most large grocery stores will have cube steak in the meat section as it is a fairly common cut. There have been a few times where I've had to ask at the meat counter for it, but it's quick to prepare. Cube steak may also be called minute steak, so if you can't find it at the grocery store, be sure to ask for either name.
how to make a pan gravy
Making a pan gravy is a necessary skill for any home cook. Once you've finished cooking your meat, remove the pan from the heat and the meat from the pan. Add 1 Tbsp of butter, 3 Tbsp of Flour (more if needed) and ½ cup of beef broth (more if needed). Whisk together until thickened and able to coat the back of a spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve over your steak.
what to serve with Cube Steak and Pan Gravy
- Bacon Mashed Red Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Red Mashed Potatoes
- Bacon Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Chive Mashed Potatoes
- Homestyle Mashed Red Potatoes
- Homestyle Mashed Potatoes
Cube Steak with Pan Gravy
- 1 Pound Cube Steak
- 1 Egg whisked
- ½ Cup Flour
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- ½ Cup Beef Broth
- Season cube steak generously with salt and pepper. Dip in egg wash and dredge in flour. Shake any excess flour off.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add cube steak and cook until browned on both sides. Remove pan from heat and meat from skillet.
- Add butter, flour and beef broth and whisk until thickened into a gravy consistency (you may need to add more flour or butter depending on how many drippings were in the pan). Season with salt and pepper, then serve over the cube steak. Enjoy!