Creamy Potato Salad is a summer staple for any picnic, BBQ or potluck. This is a side dish that is a true comfort food. Enjoy this recipe's creamy dressing, fresh herbs and delicious red potatoes. You'll want to make this recipe time and time again!
How do you make potato salad?
Potato salad is an easy side dish to make. Boil potatoes until they are fork tender, let drain and cool, then slice. Mix with mayo, vinegar, pickle juice, celery, hard boiled eggs, scallions and fresh dill. Chill and serve cold. Potato salad can be made and served same day, however you can make potato salad the day before serving it or prep all ingredients the day before and combine them day of.
Why does my potato salad get watery?
To avoid a watery, slimy mess, make sure to do the following:
- Choose the right potato for your salad. Red potatoes and russet work the best.
- Let potatoes cool completely before adding them to mayo
- Measure your ingredients properly
- Don't let the potato salad sit out in heat or else it will sweat
How long will potato salad be good for?
Once made a potato salad will stay good for 3-4 days refrigerated. If it's been sitting out for a while or gets up to room temperature, discard the potato salad. Bacteria will grow in foods that are above 40 degrees and under 140 degrees. Since there are eggs and mayo in this dish, it is prone to spoiling if it gets above 40 degrees.
Make this a meal with these recipes:
Creamy Potato Salad
- 2 Pounds Red Potatoes Quartered
- 1 Cup Celery Chopped
- 6 Hard Boiled Eggs Chopped
- ½ Cup Scallions Chopped
- 2 Cups Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Dill Pickle Brine
- 2 Tbsp Ground Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- Fresh Dill
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Boil eggs until yolk is set, about 7-9 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Combine wet ingredients, mayo, pickle brine, vinegar, mustard, and sugar. Season to taste with salt, pepper and fresh dill.
- Add potatoes, eggs, celery and scallions to the mayo mixture. Toss to combine.
- Chill until cold, then serve. Enjoy!
Little baby Arya, regular human sized fiance