Use the most of hearty greens with this Creamy Orecchiette with Sausage and Greens recipe. Delicious creamy pasta is made even better with crumbled Italian sausage and sautéed greens. Move away from the old humdrum pasta recipes you're tired of and make something new!
What is Orecchiette?
Orecchiette is a pasta common in southern Italy. It's know for it's unique ear shape and is often in recipes with sauces and meat. If you can't find Orecchiette for this recipe, other shaped pastas will also work. Most large pasta brands will make Orecchiette, however it's a specialty shape here in the united states so it may not be carried everywhere.
How to cook kale
Cooking kale requires a bit of time as it is a hearty green and needs more time to become tender. I like sautéing kale with olive oil and garlic. To bring out the best taste in kale, season generously with salt and pepper, it will take a bit more than you think to get a perfect taste! If you can't find kale, mustard greens, swiss chard or broccoli would go well in this Creamy Orecchiette with Sausage and Greens recipe as well.
Make it a meal
- Pasta Bolognese
- Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
- Tortellini Alfredo
- Broccoli Alfredo
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Chicken Bacon Carbonara
- See Other Dinner Ideas
Creamy Orecchiette with Sausage and Greens
- 1 Pound Sweet Italian Sausage
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 Cups Kale Trimmed and Chopped
- ¼ Tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 Pound Orecchiette Cooked al dente
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1 ¾ Cups Whole Milk heated
- ½ Tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Tsp Ground Mustard
- Using a dutch oven or similar, heat up oil on medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until there's no pink. While cooking, break into small chunks and crumbles. Remove sausage and set aside.
- Add kale to same pot. Season generously with salt and pepper. Stir in crushed red pepper and garlic. Cook until kale is softened and wilted. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat and add butter to pan. Once melted, stir in the flour to create a roux. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring consistently.
- Slowly whisk in the warm milk whisking frequently. Reduce the heat to low and cook until it achieves a gravy like consistency, about 6-8 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and ground mustard.
- Stir in orecchiette, sausage and kale. Toss to mix, then serve warm. Enjoy!
When you get that feeling that you're being watched...