Make your grandmother's classic dinner with this recipe for Classic Meatloaf. It's the perfect comfort food for cold weather and full of nostalgia. Who can resist the baked ketchup glaze!
Freeform or loaf pan
I prefer to make a freeform meatloaf because it is easier to remove from the pan and slice. I can also easily check on the cook on the meatloaf. Another added plus is that you'll get more of that delicious ketchup glaze in a freeform meatloaf! If you decide to cook your meatloaf in a loaf pan, line the pan with parchment paper for easy removal and make sure you are using leaner ground beef so that it doesn't just cook in grease
What type of ground beef to use
For any meatloaf recipe, you'll want to use lean ground beef. I prefer to use 93% lean or leaner in my cooking. While having a less lean ground beef is good for taste, it makes for a very greasy and unappetizing meatloaf. Using a less lean ground beef will also make it harder for the meatloaf to retain its shape and integrity.
Is pink meatloaf safe to eat?
Meatloaf needs to be baked until it reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees fahrenheit to be considered safe to eat. If you notice it's still pink inside, it's still ok to eat. Classic Meatloaf may retain a pink color due to the seasonings used and other chemical processes that occur while cooking. However if it does not reach the desired internal temp, you'll need to continue cooking!
Make it a meal
- Garlic Chive Mashed Potatoes
- Balsamic Glazed Carrots
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Homestyle Mashed Red Potatoes
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Homestyle Mashed Potatoes
- More Side Dishes
- More Beef Dinners
- 1 ½ Pounds Lean Ground Beef
- ¾ Cup Breadcrumbs
- ½ Cup Ketchup
- ½ Cup Onion Minced
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- Ketchup For Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir until fully combined.
- Shape meatloaf into an 8X4 shaped loaf on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 160 degrees. Brush loaf with ketchup for the last 15 minutes of cooking for the glaze. When done, slice loaf and enjoy!
Afternoon snuggles in her cat tower