When making comfort food, sometimes I like to combine some all time favorites. How about combining tex mex style chili and baked stuffed peppers? Sounds genius right? And it was just as delicious! This recipe for Chili Stuffed Peppers consists of green bell peppers stuffed with a saucy tex mex chili and baked until bursting with flavor.
what are baked stuffed peppers?
Baked stuffed peppers are bell peppers stuffed with a mixture of rice, ground beef, tomato sauce and seasonings. The stuffing can vary, but this is my personal favorite. In the past I've made a few different variations including chili stuffed peppers, Italian stuffed peppers and BBQ stuffed peppers. No matter the stuffing choice, you'll end up having a delicious dinner.
what type of peppers to use
This recipe calls for bell peppers. You can use any color variety of bell pepper (they are the same pepper, just different stages of ripening). When choosing your pepper, you want to choose a firm pepper free of blemishes. When prepping the pepper, slice the top off of the pepper and remove the seeds. Stay away from peppers that have begun to soften or have dark spots on the skin. These peppers may have over-ripened and the soft spots can cook faster than the rest of the pepper, leading to overcooked spots.
do peppers need to be pre cooked before stuffing?
While peppers do take a bit of time in the oven to soften, this recipe is best made beginning with raw peppers. One of the reasons I love this recipe is that the Chili Stuffed Peppers are even better as leftovers. This is because the flavors have more time to develop and the pepper has more time to soften as the liquids redistribute.
What type of chili to use
While there are many options for Chili Stuffed Peppers, i found myself going with a classic. For this recipe I chose a Tex Mex style of chili. This chili is saucy, has beans and is packed with a tangy flavor. For this recipe I combine all ingredients for the chili and stuff in the peppers to be baked.
Chili Stuffed Peppers
- 4 Bell Peppers
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Cup Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- ½ Pound Ground Beef
- 8 Oz Tomato Sauce
- 11 Oz Chili beans
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Cup Mexican Cheese Blend Shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prep bell peppers by slicing off the top and removing the seeds. Place in an 8X8 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until ground, breaking up the beef into small pieces as it cooks. Drain any excess fat.
- Combine beef mixture with tomato sauce, chili beans, and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon beef mixture into the peppers. Cook uncovered for 40 minutes or until fork tender. Top with shredded cheese. Let cool slightly, serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply