I love it when classics get a makeover, like this recipe for Chicken Pot Pie Soup. It has all of the best parts of chicken pot pie; the crust, the sauce, the veggies. And while traditional pot pie is a bit more labor intensive, you get all the best flavors of a pot pie in this easy soup.
What is a pot pie?
A pot pie is traditionally a baked meat pie. The crust is usually a pie dough or in some instances a puff pastry. Pot pies are typically from North America and differ slightly from European meat pies. The filling of pot pies can vary, but the most common are chicken or turkey in a creamy sauce.
Pie Crust Croutons
In lieu of a crust, this recipe calls for pie crust croutons to serve with the soup. To make these croutons, you'll need a pre made pie crust. Roll out the pie crust and cut into squares. Place squares on a baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Top with flaky sea salt and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
What is in a Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup has a variety of vegetables. In this recipe I've included onion, celery, carrots and peas. If you want to make substitutions, other common vegetables for soup are green beans, beans, potatoes and parsnip.
How to make chicken pot pie soup
This soup is fairly easy to make. Begin by prepping all of your ingredients by cutting the vegetables and measuring out the ingredients. Sauté the vegetables with butter until softened then stir in the flour. Add the liquids, chicken, seasonings and bring to a simmer. Towards the end of cooking, add the peas. Serve with croutons and enjoy!
Like this recipe? You may like these as well:
- Oven Baked Beef Brisket
- Garlic Rosemary London Broil
- Polish Meat Pierogi
- Balsamic Glazed Carrots
- Maple Glazed Carrots
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- ½ Cup Onion Diced
- ½ Cup Celery Sliced
- ½ Cup Carrots Sliced
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 8 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Half and Half
- ½ Tsp Sage
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast Cooked, Cubed
- ½ Cup Peas
Pie Crust Croutons
- 1 Pre made Pie Crust
- 1 Egg
- Flaky Sea Salt
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven or large pot. Add onions, celery and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Stir in chicken stock and half and half. Add cubed chicken and bring pot to a simmer. Add sage and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 20 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, prepare pie crust. Cut into small squares, place on a baking sheet, brush with egg wash and top with finishing salt. Bake as per directions for frozen crust.
- Add peas to soup and cook for 2-3 minutes before serving. Serve soup with croutons and enjoy!
Leave a Reply