There are few dishes that I crave on a regular basis but the idea of a delicious creamy pasta and flavorful chicken with bacon is one that makes my mouth water. If I go out to a restaurant and see Chicken Carbonara, I'm ordering it with no hesitations or waffling. I decided to jazz up my own version of the recipe by adding bacon and let me tell you, Chicken Bacon Carbonara is definitely worth making.
Ham, Pancetta or Bacon - A hard choice
Most carbonaras are made with either ham, pancetta or bacon and you can easily substitute the other options into this recipe. It's about personal preference. I like using a smoky bacon to give the dish a more robust flavor, but if you want a more italian style dish, pancetta may be the way to go. Or you could play roulette and just see what's on sale at the grocery store when you go to make your Chicken Carbonara.
The chicken is lightly seasoned and baked. Another alternative is to grill the chicken, but if it is cold out baking or using a grill pan is a great alternative. I've lived in apartments for years so unfortunately grilling is out of the picture for me, so I make due with roasting in the oven and using grill pans. I'm jealous of anyone who owns a home and has the space for a grill. I'll get one someday, but not in San Francisco!
My hack for cooking Bacon
I have a hack for cooking bacon that involves no cleanup, no mess and delicious crispy bacon. I use a baking sheet that comes with an oven safe cooling rack. I line the inside of the pan with aluminum foil, put the cooling rack in the pan on top of the aluminum and lay the bacon out on the rack. Pop in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees and you have delicious bacon. The cleanup consists of tossing the aluminum foil and giving the rack a quick wash.
If you have your own bacon hack let me know! This is similar to the baking sheet I use.
Other Amazing Pastas
- Pasta Bolognese
- Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
- Tortellini Alfredo
- Broccoli Alfredo
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- See Other Dinner Ideas
Chicken Bacon Carbonara
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- ¾ Cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Egg Yolks
- ⅓ Cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- ¾ Cup Peas
- ¾ Pound Spaghetti
- 8 Oz Bacon
- Preheat oven to 375
- Season Chicken with salt and pepper generously. Put into an ovenproof baking dish and bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
- While chicken is baking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes or until softened. Stir in heavy cream, then whisk in egg yolks and parmesan cheese. Stir in peas.
- Cook Spaghetti until al dente
- Cook bacon either on stove top or in oven. Chop into half inch pieces.
- Combine spaghetti, bacon and carbonara sauce in a large bowl. Slice chicken and place on top. Enjoy!
Although Arya is an indoor cat, we bring her outside on her harness. Yes, we are those cat owners. But if she didn't have her harness on she would bolt! This was her first time outside when she was about 5 months old.