There are some vegetables often only seen as accessories to the actual dish. They look pretty on top of what you are about to eat but then are pushed to the side of the plate and relegated to going into the trash. Radishes are one of these vegetables that often are ignored and forgotten. Used as a palate cleanser or pretty adornment they are usually forgotten. With this Brown Butter Roasted Radishes recipe, they are the star of the show and taste like no radish you've had before!
I stumbled across a recipe for roasted radishes a few years back on Bon Appetit and remembered it recently when I bought a bunch of radishes that were on sale and then realized I had no idea what to do with them. As it turns out roasting radishes is delicious and completely changes their flavor. Instead of having a strong bite to them, their taste is mellow and the consistency is like that of a roasted potato.
How to make Brown Butter
Brown butter is easy to make and has a large variety of uses from being use as a pasta sauce, used in baking or as a sauce for roasted veggies. To make begin by melting butter in a light colored frying pan on medium heat. Continue cooking butter without stirring. It will begin to look frothy as the water evaporates and you'll notice the milk solids begin to collect at the bottom of the pan. Once you see those milk solid starts to turn brown, remove from heat, scrape them off of the bottom of the pan and pour the brown butter into glass measuring cup or other heat proof vessel. Brown butter will go from perfect to burnt in a matter of seconds, so don't walk away while making it.
Roasting radishes is easy. Simply cut radishes in half, toss with salt and olive oil, then roast in an oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. While you're preparing the radishes make sure to rinse them thoroughly as dirt tends to cling to them and to the leaves. The last thing you'll want in your dish is a clump of dirt.
Make it a Meal
- NY Strip Steak with Red Wine Sauce
- Hamburger Steak with Onion Gravy
- Braai Rubbed T-Bone Steak
- Oven Baked Beef Brisket
- Dutch Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Oven Baked Garlic Rosemary London Broil
- Chicken Fried Steak
- More Dinner Recipes
Brown Butter Roasted Radishes
- 20 Radishes with Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash and trim radishes, reserving the leaves for later. Halve radishes and coat with olive oil. Season with salt to taste and spread on a baking sheet. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until radishes have cooked through.
- Chop radish leaves and set aside ½ cups worth to add to the radishes later.
- Melt butter in a light colored frying pan on medium heat. Do not stir and let butter cook until the milk solids accumulate on the bottom and begin to brown. Remove pan from heat and use a wooden spoon to scrape up all of the butter.
- Add radishes, radish leaves and lemon juice to combine. Season to taste with salt if needed, then serve and enjoy!
How does one sleep like that? My back hurts after sleeping in a bed, maybe I should give Arya's style a chance