Pimento Cheese is a favorite appetizer of mine. It can be whipped up in a few minutes with ingredients that I always seem to have on hand. But in the winter months I like to make Baked Pimento Cheese Dip for the perfect cold weather appetizer. This dip is a party favorite and still an easy recipe to make!
what is pimento cheese made of
Pimento cheese is made of a combination of shredded cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, cream cheese and diced pimento peppers. Pimento cheese can be made up to a day ahead and stored in the fridge. Since it is a mayonnaise based dish, it can’t sit out in heat or else it will spoil. Pimento Cheese can either be left chunky or blended smooth into a paste.
where is pimento cheese made
Pimento cheese is most popular in the southern part of the United States and in parts of the Philippines it is known as cheese pimiento. Pimento Cheese is also a signature item at the professional golf Masters Tournament.
what is pimento
Pimentos are a type of pepper, also called a cherry pepper due to it’s small size and bright red color. Pimentos are not a hot pepper and are usually a bit sweeter than bell peppers. You may also recognize this pepper from stuffed green olives, as those are usually stuffed with pimentos.
how to use pimento cheese
Pimento Cheese is most often used as a either a dip or a sandwich spread. However there are other iterations for this spread. You can served pimento dip hot like in this recipe for Baked Pimento Cheese Dip or use it to stuff jalapenos. Pimento cheese can also be used in other southern staples such as grits or as a spread for biscuits. Pimento cheese can be used in most recipes that call for cream cheese or shredded cheese.
make it a meal
- NY Strip Steak with Red Wine Sauce
- Hamburger Steak with Onion Gravy
- Braai Rubbed T-Bone Steak
- Oven Baked Beef Brisket
- Dutch Oven Braised Short Ribs
- Oven Baked Garlic Rosemary London Broil
- Chicken Fried Steak
- More Dinner Recipes
Baked Pimento Cheese Dip
- 8 Oz Cheddar Cheese Grated
- ¼ Cup Cream Cheese Softened
- ½ Cup Pimento Peppers Drained and Diced
- 3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- ½ Tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1 Tsp Hot Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Season to taste generously with hot sauce, salt and pepper. Transfer to an oven proof baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until edges of dip are bubbling. Serve warm with crackers and enjoy!