When I want a large meal that is amazing as a leftover, I go for Baked Eggplant Parmesan. Slices of eggplant are coated with breadcrumbs, baked and then layered with red sauce and mozzarella then topped with fresh basil. This is a family dinner that you'll come back to time and time again.
What is Baked Eggplant Parmesan
Baked Eggplant Parmesan is an Italian style casserole. Other eggplant parm varieties call for fried eggplant however I prefer this method as it's a bit healthier and definitely less messy. The breaded eggplant is layered with red sauce and mozzarella and baked to perfection.
How to bread the eggplant
Breading the eggplant is an essential step in making Baked Eggplant Parmesan. This gives the eggplant texture and also helps draw out water from the eggplant slices.
- Mise en Place: Begin by arranging your setup. In a line place a paper plate of flour, a bowl of whisked eggs, a paper plate of seasoned breadcrumbs and finally a baking sheet.
- Flour: Toss each slice of eggplant in flour until evenly coated. This will help the egg wash adhere to the eggplant.
- Egg Wash: Next dunk slices of eggplant into the whisked eggs until completely covered
- Breadcrumbs: Coat each slice of eggplant in seasonened breadcrumbs. You may want to firmly press the slices into the breadcrumbs to properly adhere.
- Bake: place each breaded slice on the baking sheet in a single layer. Then they are ready to bake!
How to store Eggplant Parm
Baked Eggplant Parmesan can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. It reheats well and leftovers shouldn't be an issue (My favorite is to make eggplant parm subs and toast them in the oven).
To freeze, assemble Baked Eggplant Parmesan in an aluminum pan. Cover with cling wrap, then aluminum foil and place in freezer. Eggplant parm can be stored in the freezer for up to a month. To reheat, bake at 375 for an hour until edges bubble and center is warmed through.
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan
- Bruschetta Baked Chicken
- Baked Stuffed Tomatoes
- Saucy Bacon Tomato Rigatoni
- BBQ Beer Meatballs
Baked Eggplant Parmesan
- 2 Pounds Eggplant about 2 large eggplants, sliced into ½ inch thick rounds
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3 Eggs Whisked
- 2 Cups Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- 4 Cups Marinara Sauce
- 4 Cups Mozzarella Cheese Shredded
- 1 Cup Basil Chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bread the eggplant by coasting in flour, then coating in egg wash and finishing by coating in breadcrumbs. Place completed breaded eggplants on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake breaded eggplant for 20 minutes, flipping each eggplant once at the halfway point. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Spread a layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of a large baking dish. Next add a layer of breaded eggplant. Top eggplant with marinara and mozzarella. Continue to layer the dish until complete. Top dish with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake eggplant parm uncovered for 35 minutes or until edges are bubbling and center is warm. Let cool slightly, slice and serve. Enjoy!